April 14th, 2014
Digitizing Nostalgia: Behind The Scenes Of BAND-AID® Brand’s “Stuck On Me” Jingle Contest
Editor’s Note: Today, BAND-AID® Brand kicks off its second annual “Stuck On Me” jingle contest in the United States. We caught up with Michael Park, Assistant Brand Manager of BAND-AID® Brand, to learn more about what it’s like to give a nostalgic piece of J&J history a digital twist.
BlogJNJ: Tell us about the origins of the BAND-AID® Brand “Stuck On Me” jingle contest.
Michael Park: The iconic “Stuck On Me” jingle dates back 39 years, when Barry Manilow first created and sang it. Last year, the BAND-AID® Brand marketing team brought the jingle back in a new sing-along contest that helps our fans re-live the nostalgia in a very modern way. I’m excited to be leading this year’s contest and we’re celebrating the start of the submission period, which begins today!
BlogJNJ: Why did BAND-AID® Brand decide to run the contest for a second year?
Michael Park: The 2013 contest was a huge success. We received so many great video submissions, and it was amazing to see our fans breathe new life into the Stuck On Me jingle. Their creativity and excitement inspired us to run the contest again – with some changes!
BlogJNJ: Tell us about what’s different this year.
Michael Park: One of the biggest changes we are excited about this year is that we have opened up the contest to fans of all ages. We want entire families to participate in the videos – not just children. We love seeing families sing the jingle together, showcasing their unique personalities and creativity. Even a group of adults can make their own video, so we’re looking forward to seeing an even more diverse range of videos this year.
We’ve also brought in Walmart as our retail partner and increased our grand prize to a $10,000 Walmart gift card! Customers in 2,700 Walmart stores will notice a motion-sensing button that plays our jingle when they walk by a BAND-AID® Brand display. In addition, we are partnering with Disney by using last year’s winning videos to create a TV commercial for this year’s contest.
BlogJNJ: You had a lot of submissions to review last year. What surprised or entertained you the most about the submissions?
Michael Park: We loved how many contestants filmed outside and involved action shots, ranging from playing basketball to climbing on the jungle gym to riding horses. Being active, especially at a young age, is great to see.
BlogJNJ: Why do you think people identify so strongly with the BAND-AID® Brand jingle?
Michael Park: The jingle is fun to sing and very catchy, of course! But more importantly, the jingle takes adults back to their childhood. It immediately conjures up a lot of nostalgia and memories of their relationship with their own parents. I think that’s why people enjoyed the contest so much last year. It’s always fun to have a shared experience with your children, and the jingle contest really enables that.
BlogJNJ: Any tips for families who might be thinking about submitting a video for the contest?
Michael Park: Make sure to read the rules at www.Band-Aid.com/StuckOnMe.
- Be sure there are no visible logos or recognizable television, movie, or toy characters, as those are commonly trademarked and can’t appear in our video gallery.
- All individuals featured in the video must be a member of your immediate family, or you must have written permission from non-family members (or their parent or guardian) to feature them.
- Hold the camera or your phone steady and be sure to avoid busy backgrounds and too much background noise. You kid should be the focus so limit any distractions within the video.
- Shoot with natural light when you can. If you’re shooting indoors, make sure the lighting highlights your child but doesn’t wash him or her out.
- Don’t include any identifying information, like the name of your child’s school or their boy/girl scout troop number.
- When using a smartphone, make sure you shoot the video horizontally. Your video will look better when viewed online if you shoot with the phone on its side rather than upright.
To learn more about the contest rules or to enter, visit www.Band-Aid.com/StuckOnMe.
Note: Employees and agents of Johnson & Johnson, Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., HelloWorld, Inc. and their respective parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, any other prize sponsor, and any entity involved in the development, production, implementation, administration or fulfillment of the Promotion (all of the foregoing, together with Sponsor, collectively referred to as “Promotion Entities”), as well as the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings and children and their respective spouses, regardless of where they reside) and household members of each such employee, whether or not related, are not eligible.